Nikolai Gogol was a Ukrainian/Russian satirist whose most famous tales are surreal, often incorporating veiled political and social commentary. However, his horror stories, which lovingly reflect his Ukrainian upbringing, are the ones which stick with us the most. St. John’s Eve was the basis for A Night On Bald Mountain and The Viy was the only Soviet era Russian horror film to be produced. They’re full of mischievous devils, bloodthirsty witches and spiteful sorcerers!
Jeanne D’Angelo‘s Unclean Spirits is a loving homage to these frightful tales of folk-inspired madness. Her precise, meticulous and vibrant pieces capture the brooding eeriness present in these tales. She’s produced 15 gorgeous paintings from an array of Gogol’s work, including Viy, St. John’s Eve, A Terrible Vengeance, The Lost Letter, Christmas Eve and more. Including a four page centerfold based on the description of the Dnieper River from A Terrible Vengeance, considered to be one of the most celebrated passages in Russian literature.
First edition limited to 50. Release date: 09/25/2015
Illustrated by Jeanne D’Angelo
based on the works of Nikolai Gogol
- 36 pages.
- Features 15 illustrations.
- Including 4 page fold out centerfold.
- 8.5″x 5.5″ format.
- Hand screen printed cover.
- Hand numbered and signed.
- Comes with mini Illustro Obscurum Péklo Compendium.
- Comes with an 8.5″x 11″ print of a Vodyanoi by Andrea Kalfas.
- Comes with an 8.5″x 11″ print of Baba Yaga by Michelle Bukowski.